Friday, January 7, 2011

Hello from Jewlandia!

I moved to Tel Aviv, Israel from Los Angeles, CA USA about a week ago. Before I moved I gave away almost everything I owned, sold some furniture and my car (ensuring my inability to live in Los Angeles) and traveled here with 3 suitcases and a guitar.

I am a Shiksa. For those of you who don't know what that means, the Wikipedia definition is my favorite: Shiksa is a Yiddish and Polish word that has moved into English usage, mostly in North American Jewish culture, as a term for a non-Jewish woman, initially pejorative but now often used satirically. Shiksa usually refers to an attractive gentile woman or girl who might be a temptation to Jewish men or boys, e.g., for dating, intermarriage, etc.

For those of you who'd like to know how NOT to come across as a Shiksa, see here and laugh:
http://www.howtodothings.com/family-and-relationships/a4282-how-to-avoid-being-seen-as-a-shiksa.html

I do not speak any Hebrew but I have signed up for the Ulpan, which is an intensive school for Hebrew here in Israel. Mine is Ulpan Gordon, which is only a block from my new home! My classes don't start until February 1, so until then I'm sticking to the "toda" train... meaning I say "thank you" for everything and hope for the best.

This blog will be, simply, a daily log of my immersion experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment